I’m on vacation right now but home is always on my mind. For most of my time away, I try not to think too much about the work waiting for me when I return but there is one bit of work that I’m actually looking forward to and it’s Easter Brunch!
Now that our parents have aged every year, my sisters and I alternate houses for the holidays – Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Mom’s birthday. This year, it’s my turn to host everyone for Easter and I’m really looking forward to it. My Mom and sisters will be there (except for Lorraine as she’s off to Vegas baby!) but thankfully her kids will join us so that means all 11 cousins (+ 1 nephew’s girlfriend) will be together which is a rare occasion! Plus, Frank’s sister, brother-in-law, niece (+ 1 girlfriend) and nephew (+1 girlfriend) and Mom will be there too. It’ll be a full house – 24 people! Eek!
Anytime my family gets together for a formal or informal occasion, there’s always lots food involved. I think I’ve written about this before. Pics to follow after Easter Sunday but for now I’ll share the menu I’ve put together:
- Frittata with goat cheese
- A variety of crepes – sweet and savoury
- smoked salmon and cream cheese
- cinnamon and cream cheese
- Wild blueberry scones
- Fennel and maple bacon (pork and beef)
- Galette (like the one I learned to make in my baking class a couple weeks ago)
- Hot Italian sausages with tomatoes and onions
- Shrimp balchao – an East Indian dish made of shrimps or prawns finely chopped and stewed with tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chillies – it’s beyond delish and a family fav!
- Coffee, tea, mimosas, of course!
Shenanigans, laughs and probably dancing – even though it’ll be early in the day – are all guarantees! And for the little kids, there will definitely be an Easter egg hunt. It makes me happy just thinking about it.
So I guess this means, I should take advantage of my last couple of days of vacation and rest up!